14kt Yellow Gold & Diamond Swirl Ring
14kt Gold and Yellow Diamond Ring
18kt Yellow Gold Cigar Band Ring
Longines 14kt Yellow Gold Mystery Dial Watch
18kt Yellow Gold, French Coin Purse
Treat Yourself or Someone You Love With Our Beautiful Antique Jewellery
Apart from The Antique Guild, the best place to find beautiful antique jewellery is Europe. If you are a devoted collector of art déco brooches, consider emigrating to France. The “brocantes” in Lille, Rennes and Amiens are world famous. Our insider tip: you’ll find the largest number of flea markets per square kilometre in one of the smallest countries in the world: Belgium.
If your heart melts at the sight of an Edwardian bracelet with malachite or a Victorian engagement ring that carries a solitaire amethyst, then take up residency in Great Britain. There is no better place for strolling and snooping for jewellery than the Portobello Market and the Fair at Alexandra Palace in London. If the Old Smoke is too crowded for your liking, consider West Sussex, Berkshire or Somerset.
However, we imagine that you will also have plenty of reasons to stay in Australia. Here, you can take advantage of the second-best solution: buying retro jewellery at The Antique Guild. Simply stay home, and we will take care of importing the finest vintage pieces from the Old Continent to Australia.
Tips Regarding Choosing Vintage Jewellery
Should you decide to make that trip to Europe - or for that matter, to any other continent - in search of vintage costume jewellery, allow us to give you some buyer’s tips.
- Check the jewellery’s metal carefully for its hallmark; both silver plate, gold, and platinum should carry one. If you find a vintage ring at a shop near the picturesque Canals of Amsterdam and discover an 18k hallmark embossed on the inside, this means the metal is 75% pure. The hallmark notation 750 represents the same. Hallmarks vary from country to country. To avoid disappointment, inform yourself well before making a purchase.
- Also, study the gemstone. An Edwardian necklace cannot hold a synthetic gem. Even if the jewellery does hold a natural gem, it may have undergone treatment. Another example where appraisal can become tricky is the opal. This mineral can come in the form of a full opal, a doublet or a triplet. Ask the shopkeeper to prove with a certificate that a gemologist has examined the gem.
- While gold carat refers to the percentage of pure gold, gemstone carat refers to the weight. You will rarely or never find gold of one carat because it is not worth the effort, but if you find a one-carat diamond, that can be a highly valuable discovery. Check if the gem is clear and whether it has any inclusions. It should also not be damaged. Slight wear to the edges is acceptable, but a large chip in the gemstone will make it drop in value significantly. Even if repaired, the imperfection may reduce the jewel’s value.
Especially in the case of estate jewellery, most jewels have their own history. So, they almost always come with a detailed description. That makes antique estate jewellery even more unique than it already is.
What Sets The Antique Guild Apart Regarding Antique Jewellery Store
- The difference with many other antique dealers is that we not only look at the monetary value of a piece, but we truly cherish it from the moment we see it. After all, jewels are small works of art, made with passion and love in the distant past. We want to recognise and appreciate that and hope to convey this philosophy to our customers as well. Parting with a fine piece of Victorian jewellery can be as painful as parting with kittens or puppies.
- You will therefore understand that authenticity and originality are of paramount importance to us. Only then do we think about the price. The offers in our shop constantly vary because every piece is truly unique.
- Quality is not a meaningless word to us. Sometimes we come across jewellery that has not stood the test of time. Restoring it should be left to carefully selected workshops that are proficient in this field. Consequently, if the item is not restored with the necessary respect, it does not enter our shop.
We apply the same accuracy for important vintage watches. No watch enters our shop unless it is in mint condition. After all, you will want it as an elegant addition to your outfit. This way, you can make sure that you are always on time in a stylish way. In our wide and thoroughly unique range of vintage watches, there is bound to be a model that suits you.
What You Stand to Gain When You Use The Antique Guild
There are two reasons why people buy antique jewellery:
- The first is as an investment. We only offer jewellery of the highest quality. You will not be disappointed with us in this respect.
- The second reason, however, is even better: because someone wants to wear it. After all, that is what jewellery is made for, to make a beautiful person shine like the gems with which she adorns herself.
Whatever your reason for knocking on our door, we always provide the best possible service, including after-sales. Keep up to date with our antique jewellery collection and visit our luxury shop regularly if you are looking for antique furniture, curiosities or rare art. If you are trying to locate something very specific, then please contact us. If you do not find it with us in Brisbane, chances are it is simply not available in Australia.
To spoil yourself or treat a loved one, place your order today or contact us for more information.