A Short Buyers Guide to Antique Watches
Whether you want one from the year of your birth, as a sentimental reminder of your family, or as an investment, be sure to do your research on antique watches before you make a purchase. Our experienced vintage dealers can assist you on your journey to finding the perfect watch from our men’s and women’s collection. We have taken the time to investigate each piece to provide you with a detailed description so that you can get enjoyment out of wearing a stunning piece of history.
What You Should Know About Antique Watches
Be sure that you are well informed of the workings of a vintage watch to get the most value and enjoyment out of your timepiece.
- It will require maintenance: You will need to maintain a certain amount of preventative maintenance to keep your antique watch in excellent condition. This care will ensure that your timepiece retains its value, looks amazing and works efficiently.
- It may not keep accurate time: Unlike modern designs, antique watches may not keep accurate time. However, if you are aware of this discrepancy, you can still enjoy the experience of owning and wearing an antique creation. There is an undeniable charm that comes with older watches, making it easy to see past any mechanical issues.
- Each piece will have character: You are sure to become familiar with the unique quirks that antique watches display due to their handcrafted design.
Tips Regarding Antique and Vintage Watches
Consider our tips for buying an antique watch.
- Do some research into older watches: Take the time to investigate antique watches and what you can expect to pay before making an impulse purchase. This research can save you some disappointment down the track if your watch won’t retain its value. You can discover what condition you can expect the watches to be in and easily identify details such as the hands, dial, and bracelets that make it unique to a specific brand or watchmaker.
- Ask the manufacturer questions: If you have any questions about a watch and when it was made, the manufacturer should have an archive with extensive information about every style they produced. Alternatively, our professionals have dealt with antique watches for numerous years and can assist you with your questions about famous brands such as Rolex, Tiffany and Co, Omega, and more.
- Check the serial number: You can check a watch’s age using the serial number. You also want to ensure that the watch is complete with original or genuine parts, which add to the timepiece's value.
About The Antique Guild
We acquire a vast selection of quality antique items, including furniture, fine arts, jewellery, silver, and more from around the world. We believe in doing things well and obtaining pieces that stand the test of time. Our team have extensive experience dealing in the antique world and do the hard work to bring our customers quality, remarkable and unique items. You can browse our collection online or contact us with any enquiries.